Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Peach and Blackberry Scones With Sweet Tea and Poetry

Sweet tea and poetry. July is one of my most favorite months, it is usually warm, filled with sunshine and happy memories. July is also about hospitality. It is the time when I make sure I always have something yummy baked so that when people stop over, a neighbor, friend and even unexpected visitors I have something to offer them along with the Hot or Sweet tea. Today Patricia and I are teaming up to share her poem and my scone recipe for your next tea party.

I wish I had a wrap around porch and some rocking chairs where I live to entertain my summer time guests. Reading Patricia's Poem Front Porch (Hospitality Headquarters) sums up summer visitors for me. Patricia has given me permission to share that poem with you today.

Front Porch
(Hospitality Headquarters)
Just The spot. 
For talking in a cool breeze
And watching the world go by
Friends and neighbors out
For a leisurely stroll
Stop and sit a spell.
"Lemonade"?
"Iced Tea"?
"Co-cola?"
"Did you hear about...?"
"You Don't Say!"
"My, how the time flies"
'Y'all come back, now"
"You hear?"

Karen's Peach and Blackberry Scones

To make my Peach and Blackberry Scones you will need:
-2 cups of flour
-3/4 cup of sugar
-1/2 cup of butter
-2 tsp baking powder
-3/4 cup of milk
-1 egg
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 cup of blackberries
-1 cup of chopped peaches

Pre heat your oven to 400
In a bowl combine the flour, sugar and baking powder, add the butter and combine until the bread crumb mixture starts to form. Add your milk, egg and vanilla fold the wet into the dry and then add your frozen fruit. If your mixture is to wet add a 1/2 cup more flour, if to dry add more milk until the dough is the right consistency,( hold's its shape when dropped onto a cookie sheet)
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and drop equal sized and spaced spoonfuls of scone batter on the cookie tray. Bake at 400 until the sides and top are golden brown.

Karen here, some of my most favorite poems are from Patricia Neely-Dorsey and her Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia and her follow up book Magnolia Memories and Musings.  Click here to learn more about her books. 
I would love to have you join me for tea daily at www.acupofteaandacozymystery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment